Practice Area Details
Ethics, Conflicts, and Lobbying
Remcho, Johansen & Purcell, LLP assists local, state, and federal officeholders and employees in understanding and complying with the complex laws governing conflicts of interest, including gift and honoraria restrictions and revolving door laws.
We also assist in preparing financial disclosure statements and advise parties who do business with public agencies in how to operate within the requirements of those laws and regulations.
In addition, we advise lobbyists, lobbyist employers, and lobbying firms on the complex rules, restrictions, and reporting requirements of federal, state, and local lobbying laws, and assist our lobbyist clients in scheduled audits by administrative agencies.
Finally, in order to help our clients properly address these issues before they arise, Remcho, Johansen & Purcell, LLP develops and presents seminars on the subjects of ethics and conflicts of interest for local and state officials.
Representative highlights of this work include:
- Advised 501(c)(3) organization in how to accomplish its educational and lobbying objectives before the California Legislature and various city councils.
- Reviewed special district's contract with a lobbying firm for conflict of interest issues.
- Advised candidate for office concerning whether conflict of interest laws would prohibit him from continuing to practice his profession if elected to office.
- Reviewed foundation's education and training activities to determine whether those activities triggered the gift limit provisions of the Political Reform Act.
- Advised state agencies on various conflicts of interest and revolving door issues involving board members and employees.
- Conducted independent investigations of county and city officials alleged to have a conflict of interest.
- Conducted ethics trainings for county counsel offices in the counties of San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Monterey.